Kimbosue's Blog has MOOOOOVED!

**As of November 9, 2009, please find me at my new home below.**

Some posts are pw protected, so for the super secret decoder pen....ahem... code, please email me at kimbosue2 AT hotmail DOT com.

This blog will remain open. The link is still tied to lots of IF blogs, groups, and websites. I hope someone can read through my journey and find hope and strength and know that there is a light at the end of the IF tunnel. Prayer is the key! I love all my IF girlies I met along the way, and I hope to keep your friendships going forward during this next chapter of Mommyhood. I hope to see you there!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Nothing really to say....

I don't really have anything to update about today. The RE appointment for a follie scan and b/w isn't until tomorrow (and Friday). The dentist appointment is Thursday and D's cardio appointment is tomorrow. This is the week of MD's!

Tonight is the cake class brought to you by Mich.ael's. I'm taking Cake.Decorating.Course.1 by Wil.ton. I baked my cake and frosted it (this is the one thing I can NEVER do neatly, pretty, non-crummy)...UGH. And they even gave us the super secret icing recipes with consistency variations depending on what you're doing...First off, my 2 round cake layers were rounded on the tops so if I put them top to top, there was this massive gap around the whole thing that I would have to fill with icing and then when people at work eat it, it will mouth-o-icing. BLECH. So then I turned the top one over but this was after I had already put icing in between them. Then I didn't think that looked right either so I changed again....started icing the sides, and did it AGAIN. This was the straw that broke the cake's back. The middle of the cake stuck to the bottom layer, thus causing a giant canyon through the cake, thus making more crumbs, thus more crumbs in the icing = UGLY cake. Oh well. I will have cutie clowns on my ugly cake! Pictures tomorrow!


Oh and one more thing....

12 nice things to say...:

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Best Wishes this week with all the MD appts. Re.layer cakes, you can trim the rounded tops flat with a large sharp non serrated knife when completely cooled. I have to post my recipe for lemon raspberry cake, OMG! ((Hugs))

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I forgot, Happy 100th Post!!!

Paula Keller said...

Happy 100th!!!

Josée Martens said...

Happy 100th Post!!!

Marie said...

Oh Happy 100th post. You have more patience than I to even take a cake decorating class. I stick to recipes that do not require taking the cake out of the rectangular pan. I learned that from my mom.

Jill said...

HAPPY 100th blog! I can't ice a good cake to save my life!

Here from ICLW

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your 100th blog entry!

I'm here from ICWL. :-)

Amy said...

My mom and I do cakes so I have a few tips for you. I know getting the icing on there can be a pain. First as far as there being gaps, cut off the tops of the cake so its nice and flat, not rounded like it is when it comes out of the oven. Secondly, in order to avoid crumbs when your icing the cake freeze it first. This takes a little advanced planning but is well worth it. Much fewer crumbs to deal with. Thirdly, when you are icing the cake put more icing than you need on there. It's much easier to smooth it out if you are taking the icing off rather than putting more on. Also, when you are smoothing the icing out make sure you don't have a lot of icing on your spatula. It also helps to run your spatula under hot water every so often. That really helps smooth things out. Hope all that helps. Good luck with your class! Congrats on your 100th post!

ICLW

Echloe said...

I took the Wilton 1 class a few years ago and loved it. Still meaning to sign up for Wilton 2. Anyway stick with it. The instructor will teach you cool ways (and tell you what item to buy at Michael's) to deal with cake issues.

SassyCupcakes said...

Congrats on your 100th post!

I've got a few photos of icing a cake here -
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=43124&id=713807812&page=2

We leveled it with a serrated knife. Coated with a thin coat of icing to catch the crumbs. Then we piped on icing so you get an even amount all over the cake. From there we smoothed with our spatula, dipped it in hot water, wiped it and smoothed again. It takes some practice but it does work well.

I think I did the same clowns in my cake course. I wasn't happy with mine, good luck with yours.

Andi said...

Happy 100th post....I am at 3,000 something and going back I see that I have really changed a lot as a person.

I hope that all goes well...really well...with the medical appointments.

It's the love that goes into the cakes that counts. As long as the frosting is edible, it's good. :-)

Keri said...

Happy 100th post!

(Here via ICLW)

blogger templates | Make Money Online