Kimbosue's Blog has MOOOOOVED!

**As of November 9, 2009, please find me at my new home below.**

Some posts are pw protected, so for the super secret decoder pen....ahem... code, please email me at kimbosue2 AT hotmail DOT com.

This blog will remain open. The link is still tied to lots of IF blogs, groups, and websites. I hope someone can read through my journey and find hope and strength and know that there is a light at the end of the IF tunnel. Prayer is the key! I love all my IF girlies I met along the way, and I hope to keep your friendships going forward during this next chapter of Mommyhood. I hope to see you there!

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

24 Hour Pee Bucket & High BP

So Dr. S had told me because the BP has been high the past 2 appointments (even though it lowers after laying on my side for 10 minutes) that if I get another headache that Tylenol can't cure, to call the office immediately.

So on the way home yesterday, I started getting one. I took 2 Tylenol when I got home and took a nap. When I woke up at 6, the headache was still there. Dean had 2 teeth extracted yesterday also (a piece of a lower filled molar broke off on Saturday exposing the nerves) so he wasn't feeling up to par either. We laid around on the couch waiting for our pain to go away. Ate a late dinner and by 8:00, the headache was still there.

I didn't want to be a nervous patient, so I wanted to check my BP before calling the after hours line. Nobody in my neighborhood had a BP cuff available, so we drove to to CVS to use theirs. It was 139/83 both times we took it. So I called the office and the on-call doc said to go to L&D at the hospital for some monitoring and bloodwork...

The experience was totally NOT what I was expecting. I was expecting to lay on a bed with my clothes on with a BP cuff and have them take it every 10 minutes or so for a couple of hours. I was NOT expecting to have to completely undress and put on a hospital gown. I also had to pee like nobody's business, but the doctor wanted a urine sample via catheter. EEK - WHAT? So she used a catheter to get the sample and drain the rest of my bladder.

Next up was the fetal heart rate monitors strapped to my belly to monitor Peanut's HR. Then the BP cuff for me which read my BP every 10 minutes. After a couple of hours, the print outs were taken to the doctor and all is well - both Peanut and my BP. Of course it was high when I got there, but since I was laying down the rest of time, it was low.

So here I sit, at home on the couch with the laptop and Maddie, watching Deliver Me and Bringing Home Baby (yes, at the same time) so I can do a 24 hour urine collection in the comfort of my own home. I am sure my co-workers appreciate me not lugging a pee jug between my cube and the ladies' room. The pee jug is chilling in an ice bucket. That is so weird to me that it has to be cold when it comes out hot? Anyone? Mrs. Martha RN I know you know why I have to "chill" my pee bucket...

15 nice things to say...:

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

You poor thing, I am so glad all is okay with you and Peanut.
You keep the pee cooled to keep the chemistry values (all the little protein and other molecules) constant. It also keeps down the smell and reduces evaporation if it gets warm.
Please keep me posted, take good care. Sorry to hear about Dean's teeth, ugh.

Amy said...

Yikes...sorry you have to go through the pee bucket scenario. Not fun.

Hope everything works out!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the not so glamourous side of the miracle of childbirth. :D

My poor wife lost just about all her modesty during her pregnancy experience.

Take care of yourself. Let's not repeat this little scenario.

On My Mind 24/7 said...

Oy! So sorry for the humiliating experience. I think I would have about DIED if I had to have a catheter-ugh. Actually-I would have refused. But, glad you got through it, hope you get some rest in your own bed.

Anonymous said...

Hope everything turns out okay! Will keep you in my thoughts. (Ahhhh, the joys of being pregnant eh?!)

s.e. said...

Oh, Kimbosue. How scary. I am glad it is over and you are both safe.

And you makde me smile picturing you question why you are chilling your pee. Funny.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Separate jars of pee seem less unseemly to me than one giant bucket.

Glad that you're both doing well!

Beautiful Mess said...

Aww how sweet of you to stay home and not carry around your bucket of pee back and forth to the restroom. I hope your BP stays low and all stays well. HUGS!

*Brandi* said...

Aww I'm glad to hear things are ok. And why do they always make you put on those stupid gowns??? I'd be taking the time off too, I'm sure the guys I work with wouldn't want to see a pee bucket either. Enjoy the time off and relax.

Delenn said...

I had to do the 24 hour pee too. It was FUN! :-)

The funniest part was my son wondering what the yellow stuff in the fridge was. (Nope, that is not lemonade, son)

Delenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Delenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Delenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mazzy said...

Oh my goodness! I am so glad you and baby are ok. That sounds scary! And the catheter?! UGH!!!!!!! I absolutely despise catheters, so miserable God awful. Whoever came up with them needs to be kicked in the nuts.
Take it easy!
*hugs*

ME said...

I'm glad you're doing fine - I hope they figure our what is causing all this craziness! I ABHOR going to the hospital. I went for what I thought was a kidney infection thinking they'd check my urine and then I'd be gone but nope - I had the full monty just like you. Yuk.

Good luck
iclw

blogger templates | Make Money Online